Monday, January 13, 2014

Baraka Reflection

Throughout the movie Baraka, directed by Ron Fricke, there was a common theme that seemed to prove the point of the importance of literature in the world today even more than any other film I have ever seen. It had an ideal around the film as a whole, and was showing the connection the world has to make to itself for everything to work-that link being literature. It shows that communication is important and that when it comes down to it, we are all one. Literature does the same thing. This film was as close to a written document proving the importance of literature and compassion as a film can get, and it didn't even have any words in it. This film made me feel all the emotions I could. Seeing the poor families and mothers scrounging the landfill to scrape by a living was an angering peek outside the first world problems that is so often forgotten as just that-minimal first world problems. Feeling of peace and commitment to your fellow human beings prevailed as beautiful scenes of all the different cultures filled the majority of the film. All the different people from all different age, gender, culture, country, origin, and race staring back at you made you feel true understanding. True compassion. Even with all these sad realizations, there were still some scenes that were simply beautiful. The low clouds over the mountains, the peak of the Himalayas shining, the black stone shine in the middle of the holy land were all stunningly impactful just to see. Even the burning oil fields of Kuwait were majestic in their own way. Each of these shots give the emotion of inner peace, and a lust to see the real world, not the fake one like the busy streets of New York and Tokyo. Slow music for the beautiful scenes and a fast paced tempo for the not so peaceful ones gave the film even more feeling. It intensified the emotions of the shots. The movement and transition of the scenes also intensified the emotions being displayed. Everything started calm, went a little deeper, and then ended a little bit stronger with a more sad but pleasing emotion. As the theme of this movie, it seemed to be pressing the point of unity. It was trying to convey that we're all not that different and that the human race as a whole is one. We shouldn't hate each other over our differences, because our differences are what make our culture. The fact of everyone being the same but still different enough to be unique is the theme portrayed by the film Baraka. Everyone has their own ideals and values, and that's what makes them who they are.
As a personal review of this movie, I can honestly say I enjoyed it. It was a little slow and almost put me to sleep at times, but I thought the cinematographer was a very skilled one, and knew what he was doing. I liked the message that this film portrayed too. I like the idea of peace and unity. I felt good after watching it. Baraka is a great film that I appreciate and would recommend to anyone else I think would enjoy watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment